New Do

New Do

Thursday, January 17, 2008

the next step

Hi Everyone,
Today I had my appointment with the cancer patient P.T. at the hospital's health club. Next week will be my first session working with a trainer. I feel so ready to get back to my usual routine. I feel like I have been sitting around resting for far too long! My family and Paul's have been so great! One of the hardest things has been not being able to wash my hair. I have had several volunteers and it just feels so good to have clean hair. That will all be insignificant in about 2 weeks. I will be starting chemo witin the next couple of weeks and the chance of losing my hair is very likely. I will probably just be proactive and shave my head before it begins to fall out in clumps. I have always had long hair and this will probably be a tough one for me, but I am trying to keep it in perspective. It IS only hair,it will grow back and there are so many other things that are far worse than a short term bald head.

I am having a small surgical procedure on Mon.am. I am having a "port" put in my upper chest as a location for the chemo to be administered rather than sticking the veins in my arm every time. After that I meet with the oncologist and off I go on my way to chemo treatment. Probably a 2 month time frame for that. Two months... I can do that! After that I just heal, get stronger and grow my hair back.

Again, thank you so very much all of you! The food has been unbelievable. The notes, cards and e-mails keep flowing. The drivers and grocery shoppers have been a tremendous help. The support and caring for me, Paul and the boys has been a life line to us all.

With thanks and gratituude, Kathy

4 comments:

Jennie said...

Seems like I should start knitting a hat to keep the chill away from your head - and maybe I can get Abby to make some cute earrings to match. We'll make you the cutest bald gal in New England!!!

You're doing great!

Love,
Jen

Kim said...

Kathy,
It sounds like you are doing so great. Port, shmort....that sounds like yet another blip in the long line of blips.
Chemo will stink, no doubt, but we also have no doubt you will do well with that as you have with everything.
Take care, we are thinking of you!!
Doug and Kim

Jennifer said...

Hi Kathy,
You are amazingly strong! And that hair will be back before summer time! So good know that you all are being taken care of, and are enjoying the help. Great to hear from you, we all are thinking of you. Miss you! Take care,
Jennifer

Anonymous said...

Hi Kathy, I am glad to hear you still have the ants in your pants, you sound like you are upbeat and positive. All good thoughts are with you and your family,you are all in our prayers. Sign me up for your Pilates class, 100% on you test, amazing :) Can't wait to join you in class.....Love, Mary